How to clean jewelry
Many people have at least one piece of jewelry that they wear every day. Over time, jewelry becomes dirty or tarnished if cleaning is neglected. Fortunately, it's easy to keep your gems looking bright and beautiful when you use a high-quality jewelry cleaner. Here is a guide to using jewelry polish and cleaning solutions, ultrasonic cleaners and specialized cleaning tools designed specifically for silver jewelry.
Jewelry Polish and Jewelry Cleaning Solutions
Non-toxic jewelry cleaners, which come in a small jar or bottle, are gentle solutions that work quickly and effectively. These products work best on platinum jewelry, gold jewelry, diamonds and other precious stones like sapphires and rubies. There are also specialized solutions for stain removal from porous stones such as pearls and onyx. You will need a small brush and a microfiber cloth in addition to the cleaner. Using these solutions effectively is a three-step process:
- Place the item to be polished into the jar of jewelry cleaner. Let it soak for a few moments, then retrieve the piece with your fingers or a small basket (sometimes included with the cleaner).
- Rinse the jewelry with warm water to remove all traces of soap and other buildup. Use a brush to dislodge any remaining dull residue.
- Dry and buff with a microfiber cloth.
Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaners
If you have a significant amount of jewelry to clean, and you'd rather not rinse and dry all of it manually, then an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner is an efficient alternative. Ultrasonic cleaning, which uses sound waves, is a bit more costly than using a basic solution, but the results are well worth the price. These machines are also very easy to use, but they are not recommended for pearls or other delicate stones.
- Fill the tank of the sonic jewelry cleaner with a mixture of water and concentrated jewelry cleaning solution.
- Place your jewelry (as many pieces as will fit) in the basket of the ultrasonic cleaner.
- Turn the cleaner on and wait several minutes as the sonic waves produce bubbles that clean the jewelry thoroughly.
- When jewelry is clean, leave it in the basket until it dries.
Cleaning Silver Jewelry
Silver is a metal which tarnishes when exposed to air for long periods of time, so if you wear silver jewelry often, it is a good idea to invest in a quality silver polish or cream. Simply apply the polish to the silver jewelry, rub thoroughly, rinse with water and dry.
|Write A Comment|